Western Isles Jobs - Find jobs in Western Isles
Many people dream of moving to the Western Isles, with their mild climate and stunning scenery. With a total population of under 28,000 people, they have lots of open space and close knit village communities with a very different approach to life from that found on the mainland. Farming, crofting and peat-cutting are still major economic activities there, with a lot of casual seasonal work available in agriculture. It's common for people to have several jobs and to keep chickens or sheep on the side.
Due to this mixed and seasonal economy, unemployment in the Western Isles fluctuates a lot but is consistently lower than in mainland Scotland or the UK as a whole. Fishing is still a major industry in most parts of the islands, as are traditional weaving and wool-working. There is also a strong tourist industry including the hotel trade, cottage rental, and guided tours which even extend to some of the uninhabited islands. Historic monuments on some of the larger islands attract thousands of visitors per year, and many also visit to play golf.
The Western Isles are also home to a fast developing energy industry focused on renewables. Surrounded by some of the best renewable energy resources in the UK, the Outer Hebrides have received extensive funding aimed at making the islands self-sufficient in energy terms, with a view to energy export. Both small and large scale projects are underway and look set to reshape the island economies in the long term, making it easier for other kinds of business to develop there. This means there are a lot of opportunities for entrepreneurs.
Alongside this, the whisky business continues to thrive on islands like Jura, Islay and Harris. This creates opportunities in admin and marketing as well as a requirement for the traditional skills needed in production.
Because many of the island communities are small, people with varied skills are in particular demand. School teachers, for instance, benefit from flexibility about the subjects they specialise in and the age groups they cater to. There are opportunities for part time firefighters and medical staff must be able to handle diverse issues without easy access to specialist facilities. Islanders also make much of their own entertainment, so musical skills are particularly welcome ad can provide a means of acquiring supplementary income.
Life on the islands can be a challenge but this is something many people find attractive and it encourages a spirit and energy that can be invigorating.The latest jobs in Western Isles can be found here on Scotjobsnet.
No jobs found, please try amending your criteria.
Find all the latest jobs in the Western Isles here on Scotjobsnet.co.uk.
0 Jobs found, viewing matches 1 - 0.
- Top 10 Tips For Why Recruitment Is The Most Important And Powerful Business Strategy
- For the very best feasible, people who can fit within your culture and contribute to your company are an obstacle and a possibility. Keeping the very best individuals, when ...
- Best Alternative Careers for Nurses
- Health professionals are the heroes for any society and this fact has come to the forefront now even more than before due to the pandemic. There are many people out there ...
- Best 10 Tips to Help You Made a Great HR Manager
- HRM is far more than merely solving internal conflicts. Or presenting a lovely work culture in front of possible prospects as well as handling lawful events. Human resource ...
- Main Reasons Why Studying Computer Science is the Best Choice
- Main Reasons Why Studying Computer Science is the Best ChoiceComputing and computer science has become part of everything that we do in our daily lives, most especially in the ...