Western Isles Jobs - Find jobs in Western Isles
Many people dream of moving to the Western Isles, with their mild climate and stunning scenery. With a total population of under 28,000 people, they have lots of open space and close knit village communities with a very different approach to life from that found on the mainland. Farming, crofting and peat-cutting are still major economic activities there, with a lot of casual seasonal work available in agriculture. It's common for people to have several jobs and to keep chickens or sheep on the side.
Due to this mixed and seasonal economy, unemployment in the Western Isles fluctuates a lot but is consistently lower than in mainland Scotland or the UK as a whole. Fishing is still a major industry in most parts of the islands, as are traditional weaving and wool-working. There is also a strong tourist industry including the hotel trade, cottage rental, and guided tours which even extend to some of the uninhabited islands. Historic monuments on some of the larger islands attract thousands of visitors per year, and many also visit to play golf.
The Western Isles are also home to a fast developing energy industry focused on renewables. Surrounded by some of the best renewable energy resources in the UK, the Outer Hebrides have received extensive funding aimed at making the islands self-sufficient in energy terms, with a view to energy export. Both small and large scale projects are underway and look set to reshape the island economies in the long term, making it easier for other kinds of business to develop there. This means there are a lot of opportunities for entrepreneurs.
Alongside this, the whisky business continues to thrive on islands like Jura, Islay and Harris. This creates opportunities in admin and marketing as well as a requirement for the traditional skills needed in production.
Because many of the island communities are small, people with varied skills are in particular demand. School teachers, for instance, benefit from flexibility about the subjects they specialise in and the age groups they cater to. There are opportunities for part time firefighters and medical staff must be able to handle diverse issues without easy access to specialist facilities. Islanders also make much of their own entertainment, so musical skills are particularly welcome ad can provide a means of acquiring supplementary income.
Life on the islands can be a challenge but this is something many people find attractive and it encourages a spirit and energy that can be invigorating.The latest jobs in Western Isles can be found here on Scotjobsnet.
No jobs found, please try amending your criteria.
Find all the latest jobs in the Western Isles here on Scotjobsnet.co.uk.
0 Jobs found, viewing matches 1 - 0.
- Grow Together: Develop the Best Training for Your Team
- Grow Together: Develop the Best Training for Your TeamTraining and development are some of the most important areas of human resources management. Companies should see to it that ...
- Essential tips for entering the global market
- Due to the advent of technology in the last decade with innovations in communication and logistics coming to the forefront, it has eliminated the restrictions imposed by the ...
- Tips To HR Management In The Digital Workplace For Employers In India
- Nowadays, there is a rapid change in the workplace. Also, in all the organizations globally, therate of digital change is greatly affecting certain matters which are associated ...
- Recruiting Trends that will shape 2021
- Introduction As the demand for talent acquisition is back at an earlier pace, it is quite important to understand the trends to improve the hiring processes in 2021 and plan ...