Lanarkshire Jobs - Find jobs in Lanarkshire
Lanarkshire covers an area of around 230,000 hectares .In Scotland it was traditionally known as a key mining district. However in the last 50 years or so the decline of the coal and steel industries has gradually led to more diversification within the labour market across both the North and South of the region.
The region is split up into two council areas – North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire. Covering 180,000 hectares South Lanarkshire is nearly four times as big as North Lanarkshire.
However almost 80% of South Lanarkshire is agricultural and as a result more people live in the north of the region.2 According to the General Register Office of Scotland North Lanarkshire’s population in 2012 was around 337,870 compared to 314,360 in South Lanarkshire.
Key towns include Cumbernauld, Coatbridge, Wishaw, Stepps and Airdrie in the North and East Kilbride, Hamilton, Rutherglen and Cambuslang in the South of the region.
Many employees in the region work in the services industry. Compared to Scotland as a whole, South Lanarkshire workers are also far more likely to be employed in the public sector – around 29.3% of employees against a national average of 27.1%.
However manufacturing and construction are still important industries in Lanarkshire, with employment levels consistently being above national averages.
Weekly wages in Lanarkshire are roughly in line with national statistics. In North Lanarkshire you can expect to take home around £485.50 a week while residents in South Lanarkshire fair a little better – earning £506.50.
Key Lanarkshire Employers
Key employers in Lanarkshire include NHS Lanarkshire and both local authorities-North and South Lanarkshire Councils. The area also boasts several of Scotland’s biggest call centres with companies like SKY, John Lewis, British Gas and Scottish Southern Energy all based in the area. Morrison Facilities Services Ltd in Uddingston, a repairs and maintenance-based company, is another significant employer as is the frozen foods company Farmfoods which is based in Cumbernauld.
Lanarkshire also benefits from a large number of business parks and retail out of town hubs. Maxim Park is the UK’s largest live office park development and has over 756,000 sq ft of office space.
Other business centres in Lanarkshire include Eurocentral and Strathclyde Business Park which are both near the North Lanarkshire town of Bellshill,near Motherwell.The former site of the Ravenscraig steelworks between Wishaw and Motherwell is currently under re-development and will ultimately have its own town centre and up to 216,000 of available business space.
Lanarkshire is also home to Scotland’s largest undercover retail facility. The East Kilbride Shopping Centre is made up six different malls and covers over 106,030 sq ft.
For the latest jobs in Motherwell, Hamilton ,Uddingston and across Lanarkshire find them here on Scotjobsnet.
Click on the Details/Apply button next to each job to see the full posting, or check the boxes next to the jobs that interest you and click View Selected to see several jobs together. You may also add one or more jobs to your Wish List by clicking on the check boxes next to them and then clicking Add to Wish List.
244 Jobs found, viewing matches 1 - 10.
Find all the latest jobs in North and South Lanarkshire here on Scotjobsnet.co.uk.
244 Jobs found, viewing matches 1 - 10.
- Grow Together: Develop the Best Training for Your Team
- Grow Together: Develop the Best Training for Your TeamTraining and development are some of the most important areas of human resources management. Companies should see to it that ...
- Essential tips for entering the global market
- Due to the advent of technology in the last decade with innovations in communication and logistics coming to the forefront, it has eliminated the restrictions imposed by the ...
- Tips To HR Management In The Digital Workplace For Employers In India
- Nowadays, there is a rapid change in the workplace. Also, in all the organizations globally, therate of digital change is greatly affecting certain matters which are associated ...
- Recruiting Trends that will shape 2021
- Introduction As the demand for talent acquisition is back at an earlier pace, it is quite important to understand the trends to improve the hiring processes in 2021 and plan ...